I don’t know about you, but I simply love a healthy, hearty, and all-in-one pot meal such as this Chicken and Wild Rice Soup. Not only is this soup delicious, but it’s also naturally gluten-free and extremely easy to make dairy-free.
To help support our blogging activities, our site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase from a link on our site, we may receive a small percentage of that sale, at no extra cost to you. Blessed Beyond Crazy is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program is designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com
Soup is On!
Recently I’ve been on a soup kick. In the past several weeks not only have I made Chicken and Wild Rice Soup, but I’ve also made Old Fashioned Vegetable Soup, All-Natural Chicken and Noodle Soup, Hearty Bean and Hamburger Soup, Grandma’s Old-Fashioned Spinach Stew, and even a batch of Oyster Stew.
Now that may sound like a lot of soup, and it is! However, anyone who knows me well knows that I like to keep containers of soup in the freezer for days when I’m too busy or too tired to cook. Hence, the crazy soup-making kick!
How to Save Time!
Not only is this recipe scrumptious, but I find that making Chicken and Wild Rice Soup is a wonderful way to use up a few fresh vegetables I may have lying around. I’ve also discovered that I can save a lot of time by using leftover cooked chicken and precooked organic wild rice.
This Chicken and Wild Rice Soup can easily stand alone as a complete meal, however, adding a side of homemade bread really adds a little something extra to the meal. For example, consider serving fresh Whole Wheat Bread, Peasant Bread, Oatmeal Yeast Bread, or Cornbread alongside.
A deliciously healthy, hearty, and naturally gluten-free soup.
- 2 Tablespoons butter (Dairy-Free Option: use a dairy-free butter substitute or use virgin olive oil)
- 1/2 cup organic onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup organic celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup organic carrots, chopped
- 1 cup organic green beans, cut into bite-size segments
- 1 cup sliced fresh cremini or button mushrooms
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups organic chicken stock, divided (I use homemade)
- 2 cups fully cooked organic chicken, chopped
- 1.5 cups fully cooked and drained organic wild rice (cook according to packaging directions)
- 1-3 teaspoons cornstarch- depending on how thick you want your soup to be)
- Fresh thyme for garnish
- Place butter into a Dutch oven or medium-size stockpot and melt over medium-low heat. Add onion, celery, carrots, green beans, mushrooms, parsley, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and 2 cups chicken stock; cover and cook until vegetables are tender.
- Add remaining chicken stock, fully cooked chicken and wild rice; cook until thoroughly heated.
- In a small bowl or cup make a cornstarch slurry by adding 1 Tablespoon of water to 1 teaspoon of cornstarch; mix well. Gradually stir mixture into soup; gently stir until soup thickens. If need be, repent process (1 teaspoon full at a time) until soup reaches the desired consistency.
- Top with fresh thyme; serve.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
Feel free to garnish this amazing soup with a touch of fresh thyme. You may also consider topping individual servings with freshly shaved Parmesan cheese (omit for dairy-free option).
What is your favorite soup?
More great ideas: